Monday 30 April 2012

Emma Walker-Harris

I am primarily a painter, but also enjoy drawing and using water colour. I use acrylic on canvas, usually on a fairly large scale.

Portraits have been a favourite subject for me for a long time. My Paintings don’t tend to hold a particularly inspirational message. I take inspiration from my family and friends, which makes my work autobiographical. I have worked on many family issues through art. My first art project at university looked into my past; however my current work focuses more on myself and the future. I am working in a way I never have before, I have come off of the canvas and I am painting six Russian doll figures. I am also painting on canvas alongside to see how the images have to be adapted for a 360 degree image. I found it particularly difficult making an image that could be viewed from any angle.

I tend to have quite a controlled style which comes from the perfectionist side of me. Which is why I love the work of Vija Celmins, her drawings are inspiring. I also enjoy Christopher Orr’s small scale paintings which have a more fictional, fairy tale feeling. For my next project I would like to look at using a very controlled style combined with a much more relaxed way of working.

No comments:

Post a Comment