Monday 30 April 2012

Jenna Norton


Voyeurism and the observation of people within art is something that is continually analysed and explored, and it is because of this that I wanted to approach the subject in my own work. I have primarily been using photography for this project, using a Pentax ME-Super 35mm SLR film camera to document my findings. The locations used in my images have ranged from Southampton to New York, but I wanted there to be a focus on the people in Southampton for this exhibition. The surroundings have become very familiar to me now, but the crowds continually change and provide new observations of modern life.

My work has been heavily influenced by the photography of Martin Parr and Beat Streuli, as their ‘snapshots’ of people from different walks of life has given me the incentive to discover what I can unearth about the day-to-day routines of today’s general public. I find that the facial expressions and mannerisms of a person walking alone or as part of a group is something that time and again proves fascinating and intriguing, and by juxtaposing this notion alongside the well-known history of the Bargate Monument Gallery, I feel that my work will provide many different insights into Southampton and therefore successfully showcase this location and its people.

No comments:

Post a Comment