Monday 30 April 2012

Samantha Prosser-Higdon


I’m a painter who works mainly with oil paint, but also in watercolours and inks. The watercolours and inks allow me, to quickly sketch images which, along with the use of photographs, form the source material for my work. Oil is my main choice of medium and I find the slow drying time and the texture of the oil paint, allows me time to build a piece up layer by layer and also to contemplate the marks and colours I apply. I mainly use brushes, but also use pallet knifes to add texture and large areas of colour.
My work could be seen to be largely autobiographical and the thoughts and ideas behind my work are largely personal. Although my work largely consists of landscapes, I have also painted buildings, vehicles and animals, all of which have had a personal connection to me as a person, as well as an artist.
The world around me and the places and people I meet outside the arts have a strong influence on me as an artists and it’s often these experiences and interaction, which become the theme within my work. I have been strongly influenced by the work of the St Ives group of painters and also by David Hockney, and Gerhard Richter.
Through my work I intend to convey my thoughts and emotions, in my paintings I do not just want to depict an image, but also capture the life and soul of the subject matter, which I choose to paint.
@sprosserhigdon

No comments:

Post a Comment